Monday, April 7, 2014

E is for Espresso - Some fun Facts... #atozchallenge

E is for Espresso

Some fun Facts...

Espresso is made by forcing very hot water under high pressure through finely ground, compacted coffee.

Historically Espresso has been around since the late 1800’s and was discovered in Italy by Angelo Moriondo. It soon became a popular drink for youth in the U.K. in the 1950’s. Thus also being the year the latte was invented.

Growing up, coffee was forbidden in our house. 

“Forbidden things have a secret charm” - Tacitus

The popularity of Espresso in the U.S. was on the rise by the 1980’s. My first real experience with coffee was in the early 1990’s while working at 7-Eleven. This was the time of flavored coffee’s being added to the lineup of regular ol’ coffee. Once I was introduced  to flavored creamers, my life would never be the same… 

I now indulge in the most extravagant of Espresso drinks, my favorite being a “Latte” and coming in second an “Americano”. 

Owning my own Espresso Machine has been a treat. I also worked as a Barista for about six months and here are a few of my favorite recipes…. Enjoy!

20 oz. Latte - Start with 2 oz. of your favorite flavor (I like it sweet) add 2-4 shots of fresh brewed Espresso, and 6-8 oz. steamed milk. 

20 oz. Breve - Follow the same directions as a Latte only use Half n Half instead of milk.

20 oz. Americano - 2 oz. flavor, 2-4 shots of fresh brewed Espresso, fill rest of cup to ¾ full with hot water, add cream to taste (Half n Half).

20 oz. Iced Latte - 2 oz. flavor, 2-4 shots fresh brewed Espresso, 4 oz. cold milk, fill rest of way with ice and stir. 

Note: For hot drinks flavor should always go on bottom, pouring each ingredient to side of cup to avoid stirring if possible. 


"Forbidden things have a secret charm - ThinkExist.com Quotations." <http://thinkexist.com/quotation/forbidden_things_have_a_secret/182173.html>

3 comments:

  1. Oh no--I had no idea the hot drink was supposed to go on bottom. My mother-in-law taught me the trick of pouring the creamer first to "save a spoon." I guess that's bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm confused! The last note is specific to avoid stirring. The trick is to put in the flavor, then add the hot espresso/coffee to it and pour milk or cream to side so it goes under and blends with the drink. Try it, it does work.... In a plain cup of coffee, yeah just throw some creamer on the bottom :)

      Delete
  2. Would you believe I don't drink coffee, so I've never had an espresso.

    ReplyDelete